maandag 8 oktober 2012

the first

Hi,

For those don't know me (or don't know me yet)  - I'm Joachim, a proud historian and newly graduated  Master of Conservation of Monuments and Sites. A thesis on the Art Nouveau was the cherry on the pie (as we say in Dutch) of my education.

The following links are to the master and to two friendses blogs, describing their Belgian and Greek adventures during this master.




In the following blog I will provide information and updates on our progress on the preparations of my cycling trip in south america (patagonia), and starting from november on the trip itself.

For those interested in the route: we (me & siemen) will be posting maps as well, for the moment I can tell it will be roughly between Puerto Montt and Ushuaia

https://maps.google.be/maps?saddr=Puerto+Montt,+Puerto+Montt,+Chili&daddr=Ushuaia,+Argentini%C3%AB&hl=nl&ie=UTF8&ll=-39.571822,-57.216797&spn=52.907745,104.765625&sll=-50.406767,-72.018814&sspn=0.346597,0.818481&oq=ush&t=h&dirflg=b&mra=ls&z=4&lci=bike


the following link is of a blog I used a lot for information on cycling in Chile

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9693&v=2Ls


I finished working on my master thesis in august, after which I started working (to earn the money to spend in Chile)
Training sessions are building up (although not too excessive due to minor knee-problems (treated at Kine therapy)  using my new bike.

I am very happy with the bike, giving me the basic confidence I need to start this Journey.
In contrary to my crazy friend Siemen, I have no cycling experience whatsoever, making many friends to declary ME crazy as well.

As I am not a die-hard cycler, my main aim is to enjoy the pure wildness and beauty of the Chilean nature and wildlife. I also hope to enjoy the local architecture.

The following pictures shows my first investment for this trip: awesome 30 year anniversary Ortlieb panniers backrollers, I also bought some frontrollers in Blue.

http://www.ortlieb.de/


Europe - South America


The other main investment so far is the bicycle, a santos Travelmaster 2.6 alu, (http://www.santosbikes.com/) of which pictures are yet to come..
more info coming soon!

stay tuned!






2 opmerkingen:

  1. Google maps tells me "the route can not be calculated!" fearsome! How far is your destination??? and how are you transporting the bikes to Chile?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. it cannot calculate it as the destitation is on an island (we have to take a ferrry there) (bikes are going to chile by airplane (which is a rather expensive habit :)
    the trip is 1500km a-b straight, so probably around 2000-2500 km, we hope to do an average of 50-80km a day!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen